According to statistics, there are about 24 million ecommerce websites around the world with new websites created every single day. This means that this ecommerce space is an ever expanding arena. But does that mean there is heavy competition? Well, another fact says that only less than 1 million websites sell more than $1000 a year.
Doesn’t that open room for more potential growth?
If you are looking to build an ecommerce website, that too with woocommerce or shopify, we have collected and listed a few statistics and facts that will help you take a decision in this regard.
Here are the topics we have discussed in this article.
- Percentage of Websites using various Content Management Systems
- Facts about Woocommerce
- WooCommerce Usage Statistics by Countries
- Shopify Statistics 2020 and Growth Trends
- Shopify Usage Statistics by Countries
- Woocommerce Vs Shopify Comparison
Percentage of Websites Using Various Content Management Systems
Here is a chart that explains the websites that use various CMS in percentage. As it’s quite evident, WordPress leads the race with a whooping 30.4%. Nevertheless, it is considered as one of the most user-friendly, less-developer dependent content management system which helps to maintain websites in the long run without much hassle.
WooCommerce is the most popular e-commerce plugin for WordPress. It is used by 3.5% of all websites, that is 11.5% of all WordPress sites. That makes it more popular than stand-alone e-commerce systems such as Magento (1.1%), Shopify (1.0%) and PrestaShop (0.6%).
Actually WooCommerce is more popular than any CMS except WordPress, including Joomla and Drupal. (Source)
Now let’s look at Woocommerce and Shopify separately and then compare them at the end.
Facts about Woocommerce
Here are some interesting facts about woocommerce sourced from here
- 3,317,205 live websites are currently using WooCommerce
- WooCommerce is used by 4.9% of all websites
- WooCommerce powers over 28.19% of all online stores
- 22% of the top 1 million ecommerce sites use WooCommerce
- 93.7% of all WordPress ecommerce websites use the WooCommerce plugin
- WooCommerce is the most popular plugin/module on the entire internet – with 68% usage distribution
- There are 1,267 WooCommerce themes on ThemeForest alone
- There are 980 plugins for WooCommerce on WordPress.org alone
WooCommerce Usage Statistics by Countries
Here is the statistics about the usage of woocommerce by countries (Source)
|Rest of the World||392,447|
Shopify Statistics 2020 and Growth Trends
Here are some fascinating statistics sourced from hostingtribunal.com about shopify.
- Last year, Shopify made over $1.5 billion in sales during Black Friday. This meant 10,978 orders per minute and peak sales volume per minute of $870,000
- 87% of merchants use the Shopify App Store and they have 6 apps installed on average
- Expectedly, the App Store has generated over $100 million in revenue
- Shopify Inc. raised $131 million in its IPO (initial public offering). Less than 3 years later it had a market cap of $10 billion and was similar in size to Twitter Inc.
- Shopify has paid over $850,000 to more than 300 ethical hackers for help in resolving security issues
- There is a 126% year-over-year average growth for Shopify Plus merchants
- Shopify is simple to use, affordable and customer-friendly. They back the latter claim with their 24/7 customer support via email, live chat, and phone
- It is the third top ecommerce platform with a market share of 20%
- Currently, 427,676 websites use Shopify, while 5,300+ businesses use Shopify Plus
- Shopify supports more than 600,000 businesses in about 175 countries
- Well over 1 billion orders have been processed on Shopify so far, with total sales for merchants of more than $55 billion
- Total revenue for 2018 was $1.073 billion, while the revenue for 2019 is expected to be between $1.48 billion and $1.50 billion
Shopify Growth Trends
- From 2013 to 2016, revenue from merchant services increased from 20% to 50%.
- Last year Shopify’s paying customers grew 55% from the previous year.
- There is a 126% year-over-year average growth for Shopify Plus merchants.
- According to Shopify’s financial report, its total revenue in the first quarter of 2019 was $320.5 million, a 50% increase from the first quarter of 2018.
Some Shopify Traffic Stats
- According to Shopify’s statistics, 66% of sales during Black Friday Cyber Monday 2018 took place through mobile.
- In 2014, mobile accounted for 50.3% of all traffic. Fast forward to the first quarter of 2019, and 79% of traffic and 69% of orders on Shopify stores were coming through mobile devices.
- Some of the conversion rates from various traffic sources were the following: email 4.38%; direct 4.35%; search 3.60%, and social 2%.
- 87% of merchants use apps and have paid a total of over $100 million for the privilege.
- The app store offers more than 2,400 apps.
- 12+ million apps were installed and 33,000 get downloaded each month.
- Average Shopify app price is $19.14, but the median is only $4.
- On average merchants use 6 apps
Shopify Usage Statistics by Countries
|Rest of the World||73,073|
Woocommerce Vs Shopify Comparison
With all the data above its clear that Woocommerce has a big edge over shopify but the fact that Shopify is popular for all its cool features should also be considered.
Comparison by No.of Websites
Here’s a comparison of these two players. Woocommerce leads the list by approximately 850K while shopify has 300K+ websites
Market Share by Top Websites
Let us have a look at the market share of woocommerce and shopify based on popularity and top list of websites
WooCommerce is leading in Top 1M Sites and The Entire Web. Shopify is leading in Top 10K Sites and Top 100K Sites.
Top 10K Sites
Top 100K Sites
Top 1M Sites
The Entire Web
All the above statistics will help us to understand more about how woo-commerce and Shopify have spread out in this web arena. woocommerce leads the list while Shopify is not far behind.
The below data shows the business categories woo-commerce and Shopify are using.
|Computers Electronics & Technology||27561||7114|
|Food & Drink||17029||7766|
|E commerce & Shopping||13895||5727|
|Home & Garden||12936||5613|
All the above data can give a holistic view of how the businesses are making use of these tools to enable their business presence. While each of these have its own advantages and disadvantages, it is better to discuss with a Web Development Agency like Colorwhistle.com to decide which CMS works best for you.
Are you looking to build an ecommerce website, contact us for a discussion or request a quote if you already have a brief quote. We would be happy to assist you from strategizing, branding to Digital Marketing and maintenance of your website.
Were you able to make a decision for your next ecommerce website? Let us know in the comments section below!