As vaccinations for the COVID-19 pandemic are gradually rolling out in different countries, the domestic travel and tourism industry has got a new life. The travel restrictions and border closures have put international travel still in many parts of the world.
This has made travel agencies embark on providing domestic tourism packages. The travel trends index (TTI) reports that domestic travel has increased up to 2.4% in November 2020 with a decline of 4% in the international tourism business.
If you are running a travel agency, then this is the right time to kickstart your domestic travel services. With the world going digital, you cannot stop with just starting your domestic travel services.
In this blog, we have broken down the advantages of having a website for promoting your domestic travel agency services. Just take a look at the plethora of promotional activities a website can do for you.
Let’s get started.
Initiatives Taken By Countries to Boost Domestic Tourism
The State of Domestic Tourism Before COVID-19
The secretary-general of the World Tourism Organization (UNWTO), Zurab Pololikashvili says that domestic tourism is expected to return faster and stronger than international travel. According to UNWTO, the total expenditure of domestic tourism in various countries is reported as below.
- United States – US$ 1 trillion
- Germany – US$ 249 billion
- Japan – US$ 201 billion
- United Kingdom – US$ 154 billion
- Mexico – US$ 139 billion
These high revenues and the current social distancing practices are key ingredients for many countries to take initiatives in domestic tourism development. The initiatives taken by these countries to boost their revenue through domestic tourism are,
- In Italy, the bonus vacanze initiative offers families with incomes of up to EUR 40,000 contributions of up to EUR 500 to spend on domestic tourism accommodation
- Malaysia allocated US$113 million worth of travel discount vouchers as well as personal tax relief of up to US$227 for expenditure related to domestic tourism
- Costa Rica moved all holidays of 2020 and 2021 to Mondays for Costa Ricans to enjoy long weekends to travel domestically and to extend their stays
- France launched the campaign #CetEteJeVisiteLaFrance (‘This Summer, I visit France’) highlighting the diversity of destinations across the country
- Argentina announced the creation of an observatory for domestic tourism to provide a better profile of Argentine tourists
- Thailand will subsidize 5 million nights of hotel accommodation at 40% of normal room rates for up to five nights
Top Advantages of Having a Domestic Travel Website
Statistics That Prove the Effects of Online Travel Bookings
- By 2023, more than 700+ travelers will be looking for travel information online
- 83% of US adults prefer to book their trips online
- Every year over 148.3 million travel bookings take place online
- Millennials prefer to book hotels with the help of travel agencies, among them 52% visit the agency website to gain insights
- In July 2019, Booking.com had more than 697 million+ visits to its website and TripAdvisor’s website had 224 million+ visits
Only a few travelers visit a brick-and-mortar travel agency to book their trips. Rest of them go with the online medium. When it comes to online visibility, websites play a vital role. Here, we will open up the benefits of a strong web presence for your domestic travel agency.
1. Track User Behavior on Your Website
Websites are not only used for conveying your brand message to the world. If used correctly, they can also help you learn more about your customers. With those insights in hand, you can drive more sales and conversions into your pipeline.
For instance, set up polls on your website to find out what your visitors are interested in. There are also plenty of online tools that can help you set up full-fledged surveys. You can even track your site’s analytics, and get lots of data on how your visitors behave.
2. Build a Community with Email Marketing
To stay in touch with your travelers and engage them with your travel agency, email marketing campaigns can be picked. Through email marketing, you can wow your travelers. According to Mailchimp, travel email marketing has an open rate of 20.69%.
To give access to newsletters, webinars, and other gated content, you can request site visitors to share their email addresses with you. You can begin sending emails, once they share their email address.
Make sure that the email content you send matches with previous searches of your traveler, or with his/her behavior on your website.
3. Benefits Behind Online Booking
In this fast-paced world, people try to do things quickly and in a simple way. A lengthy booking process will consume more time and effort ending up in ruining your traveler’s experience on your website.
If you make the booking experiences of the travelers simple, you can easily gain an enormous fan base. To break down your booking process, you can also try out any of the online booking software.
By integrating with online booking software, you can allow travelers to book trips from anywhere at any time. Also, on your side, you can collect the online contact details, send booking reminders, send emails about trip details, etc. We have reviewed the most used online booking software, Rezdy, do take a look to learn more about it.
4. Benefits Behind Voice Search
Everybody loves multi-tasking. With that in mind, sometimes your travelers might look for family tours, office trips, accommodation, pricing plans, and others while jogging, walking, and cooking.
In those instances, they cannot sit and type. To resolve this, this voice search functionality can be used. We have written a detailed blog about optimizing websites for voice search, do take a look to learn more.
5. Benefits Behind Mobile Responsiveness
Today, when it comes to online travel booking, mobile is king. Of the 148 million online travel bookings, 82% occurred via mobile or website.
Travel aspirants plan for a trip in their leisure time when they have their mobile phones in hand. In those circumstances, you cannot expect travelers to sit in front of a computer to open your website.
People spend an average of 3 hours and 15 minutes on their phones daily. When your prospects head up on your website and if it’s not mobile-friendly, they might bounce off of your site.
These are all the good things a web presence can do for the growth of your online domestic travel agency. We have also written a detailed blog about essential features of a travel website, do check out to learn more.
Also, before embarking on website development, it’s good to go through the existing travel website. Take a look at our travel website design ideas and inspirations, it will help you get an idea of the type of website you want to build. Make sure that the website you create is centered for both users and search engines to easily find the information they are looking for.
Our skilled web development team aims to build high-quality websites with features like responsive design, attention-grabbing content, secure payment methods, easy booking and cancellation features, reviews and ratings, search filters, maps, and more.
If you get any plans to set up effective web visibility exclusively for your domestic travel agency, then take assistance from web development experts at ColorWhistle. To reach us via phone, use this number +1 (919) 234-5140 or to reach us via message.
Do you have any questions regarding web development for domestic travel agencies? Let us know in the comments below. We can clarify your doubts.