Healthcare API (application programming interface) is crucial in the market nowadays.
Healthcare is a prominent part of everyone’s life. It is our right to obtain healthcare services at any moment. A new era of technology has emerged—and with it, a new way of healthcare solutions. On the other hand, even the most basic medical supplies and healthcare services are out of reach for plenty of people across the world living in the countryside, in poverty, or dealing with the effects of war – even the most basic medical supplies are out of reach for them.
Electronic health has a vast scope in this modern era, and it uses telehealth, wearable gadgets, mobile health, and telemedicine. Healthcare solutions have empowered hospitals, pharmacies, and other healthcare facilities to enormously boost the delivery of medical services and products to their patients through healthcare websites and mobile/web applications.
With modern healthcare applications and websites, people can consult a doctor or a pharmacist around the world through video/audio calls by using their smartphone, computer, or tablet. COVID has already shown how difficult it is to manage the contagious disease and the death rate.
A few advantages of Healthcare APIs are to make healthcare services simple for people
- Increase access to healthcare
- Enhance the quality of care
- Cost efficient
- Help people living in remote locations
- Reduce the number of people/physicians affected by deadly infectious diseases
- Provide more customized healthcare for patients
Healthcare API and its Importance
Healthcare organizations use API to sweeten how they interact with doctors, patients, hospitals, pharmacies, labs, insurance companies, etc. Using healthcare APIs as an element of electronic health records (EHRs) makes it uncomplicated for physicians and patients to get and transfer important health conditions and treatments.
API (Application Programming Interface) is a set of standards that allows applications to transfer data to other software since the 1960s. In short, APIs act as middlemen that carry your requests to providers and deliver their responses back to you. If you have ever used a mobile or web application on your device to buy a flight/train ticket or pay a bill, you’ve likely operated an API.
Did you know?
In 2015, ONC recognized the ability of APIs to revolutionize healthcare data exchange, as it has already reconstructed data exchange in other industries. ONC published a regulation that contained “certification criteria” for APIs.
Let’s take the Amazon app as an example to understand how healthcare API works. Here you are a client/user, the Amazon app is an API and the distributor is the server/backend. When you place an order through Amazon, it will check with the distributor for delivery updates and then let you know about the order status. It additionally uncovers various administrations like order management, customer data, pricing information, and catalog content for other applications.
Likewise, healthcare APIs are needed to bring applications together to perform designed services like appointments, billing, symptom check, location, lab/MRI/CT tests, chatting, and account login.
Importance of Healthcare API to develop flawless healthcare portal
- Enable adaptive and smart apps
- APIs can decode connectivity between systems
- Helps to extend the healthcare ecosystem
- Hide complexity
- Increase reusability and extend reach
There are three substantial components of a healthcare APIs
Data Exchange – Provides a standard format for exchanging structured data between two parties.
Data Access – Offers a variety of interfaces for accessing and manipulating data stored in databases.
Data Management – It boosts data management using various tools and practices.
Top healthcare APIs
Electronic Health Record (EHR) APIs
Advanced healthcare API structures are labeled as being knotty and costly. The EHR system has automated access to data and reduced the complexity of digital health through the smart usage of new technologies, insurance agencies, and patient record management. EHRs may include data on medical history, laboratory test results, vital tests, diagnoses, medication, radiological images, age, weight, and billing information. Combining several patients’ data from EHR systems has helped with new treatments in the healthcare industry.
- Human API is a user-controlled medium that permits users to securely connect and transmit their health data with your application or website. It associates you with real-time test results, hospitals, pharmacies, patient portals, and labs
- It enables digital health businesses to competently serve their clients via access to our proprietary health data network, and it connects more than 260 million people across the US
Did you know?
Human API effectively achieved an independent SOC 2 Type II audit for their products, which demonstrates that their system effectively keeps their client and user health data secure.
Particle Health API
- Particle health API enables health businesses and digital health innovators to access healthcare data in an easy and secure way
- This simple and elegant healthcare API platform has 270+ million patient records across the USA. Slotting their FHIR 4 API into other standard developer tools is easy, it also provides basic demographics and actionable data
Apple Health Records API
- Apple has delivered Health Records API for application developers to build a better environment to help healthcare businesses maintain their health records efficiently.
- Healthcare API firms collect data from Apple Watch and iPhone using Fast Healthcare Interoperability Resources (FHIR) and EHR for better nutrition plans, diagnosed diseases, medications, and more. Healthcare API dealers provide a consistent relationship with EHR APIs and assure data encryption and privacy throughout the usage
- When the client shares their health record with an authorized app, It will be directly sent from HealthKit to the third-party application.
- Apple does not set any fees for iPhone enrollment for institutions to maintain a connection and enrollment is available in Canada, the U.K., and the U.S. only
- Transferring health app data with providers is accessible in the US only
Clinical Data Management and & Analytics APIs
Google Cloud Healthcare API
- Google Healthcare API permits standardized and easy data sharing between healthcare solutions and apps built on google cloud. It provides storage and gains actionable insight into your data in any of the versions of FHIR (R4, STU3, and DSTU2)
- The cloud healthcare API is supported by google cloud’s security and privacy qualities and supports HIPAA compliance. Google Cloud is HITRUST CSF certified, which means it is a qualified health information network
Amazon Comprehend Medical API
- Amazon Comprehend Medical API is HIPAA qualified service that uses machine learning to automatically extract and understand health data from medical prescriptions, test reports, and diagnoses
- The main concept of Comprehend API is to understand and attribute sentiment within text so it uses an optimized Natural Language Processing model to study text. It is designed to perform flawlessly with other AWS services like AWS Lambda and Amazon S3
Telehealth platform is the technology that is used to deliver health-related services, self-care, and health information through digital communication.
Here are the key components of a telehealth platform that assure quality and consistency of virtual consultations
- Mobile health
- Live video
- Virtual patient monitoring
- Doximity is a telehealth API that helps over 80% of U.S. physicians and 50% of all other healthcare professionals to use its verification engine to confirm the identity of a user and allows them to authenticate using Doximity’s username and password credentials
- The free version of Doximity Dialer is available with few limitations for Med students, Pharm students, pharmacists, and MDs. This API is available for both Android and iPhone
- Patient tokens and client secrets are considered sensitive, and they must not be distributed to untrusted third parties or kept as unencrypted texts on code caches
- Bluestream+ is a patented platform to deploy end-to-end video visit solution specifically designed for healthcare businesses. You can build your own virtual care platform, app, or product for your healthcare business with Bluestream’s comprehensive and secure virtual care architecture in the market
- It is HIPAA-Compliance and believed by plenty of healthcare organizations
- Drchrono API is a cloud-based platform that allows developers to build software to interface with healthcare websites, iPhone, and iPad-based apps, EHRs, telehealth, and medical billing platform without a hitch
- This API offers free services to universities for the education and learning process
- With Amwell API, healthcare businesses can design simple and innovative telehealth programs to integrate with their EHRs, consumer experiences, patient portals, and existing workflows
- This telehealth platform gives high-quality connections to provide stable and HIPAA-compliant video connectivity in the healthcare market
- 2000+ hospitals, 55+ health plan partners, and 103k+ providers using Amwell API
Drug Data and Interaction APIs
- RxNorm provides standardized names and unique identifiers for drugs and medicines. It allows the software to communicate drug-related data efficiently and clearly
- It gives a group of codes for clinical drugs, which are the blend of dose form, strength of a drug, and active ingredients. RxNorm dataset has over 61000 latest unique drug names (RxNorm January 2011 release)
- DrugBank API is an interactive software organized around REST. It uses HTTP response codes to identify API errors and its URLs are resource-oriented
- You can use DrugBank API to access endpoints, which can get their database data on drug interactions, drug products, and drugs. Its default response format is JSON (standard file format and data interchange format)
- This API is a curated pharmaceutical knowledge base tool for drug-drug interactions, searching for information, check for alerts and side effects. We can check 1.3+ million drug-drug interactions with Drugbank in one API call. To search for information, we can use RxNorm codes, NDC numbers, and other identifiers
- The OpenFDA API’s goal is to ensure the privacy and security of public FDA info, to create comfortable access to public data, and to educate people and save lives. This healthcare API provides APIs and download access to high-priority structured datasets, drug adverse events, recall enforcement reports, and drug product labeling
- We can get public FDA (Food and Drug Administration) data like human drugs, animal drugs, medical equipment, devices, and food-related data results in JSON format
Symptom Checker APIs
Mayo Clinic API
- Mayo clinic API symptom checker will tell the possible diseases based on the entered symptoms
- With this symptom checker API tool, patients can get more clarity about the disease and shows the proper doctor guidance for further consultation
Healthcare APIs help digital healthcare businesses/solutions to take the first action towards radically accelerating the pace of innovation. It is more comfortable for healthcare providers to share information from one system to another securely and efficiently.
Here are the few healthcare API benefits to constructing your healthcare business ahead of the pack
- Provide secure data storage
- Share medical data efficiently
- Boost innovation in medicine
- Better treatment results
- Provide data integration
- Mobile health
- Insurance management
Are you looking for an immaculate healthcare portal or a custom API development or switching your running portal to another API? No worries! we will give you the perfect API development service and integration solutions for your healthcare business. We are the soundest in the market to develop ordinary API integration services to multiple end-points custom API developments. We have an outstanding professional API development team to create secure, scalable, and customized web APIs for your business requirements.
Make yourself comfortable and initiate contact with us by sending a message or a call at. +1 919-234-5140.
Let us know if you have any queries about healthcare API services, send a word in the comments below. We are excited to answer back.